Tour: Bauhaus – Neues Bauen (New Building) in Gera
1 hour tour by bus / 1 hour walk
The tour will take you round the buildings of the architect Thilo Schoder who ranks as the most important student of Henry van de Velde. Schoder is considered to be a consistent representative of the so called “New Building” (Neues Bauen) in Thuringia.
In 1888 Schoder was born in Weimar. After graduating private school he became a student at the Arts and Crafts School in Weimar (Kunstgewerbeschule) and later the assistant in van de Velde's studio. Schoder spent the most substantial years of his work in Gera (1919-1932).
The results of this period are 53 buildings, many interior architecture projects and a unique impact to the trend of “New Building” and modern architecture itself in Thuringia.
Duration: 2 hours
Local guide on the city tour round the buildings of Thilo Schoder
Visit and guidance in an exhibition of your choice:
Museum of Applied Arts
The museum offers a collection of photography, design, arts and crafts. It also shows works of Thilo Schoder and other artworks related to Bauhaus.
Art Collection - Orangery Gera
About 11,000 objects and artworks from the medieval times to the present can be seen at the Art Collection Gera. The collection is located in the beautiful Orangery of Gera – a baroque two-winged building in the pleasure garden of the house of Reuß.
Otto Dix House
Dix is one of the most influential German artists of the 20th century. The museum of Otto Dix’ birthplace shows a variety of works of the expressionist painter and is a reconstruction of a historic working class household.
The museum deals with the history of the city and the influences of politics and industry of the past centuries. The Höhler, a wide spread net of caves in the underground, is one of its highlights.
House Schulenburg Gera (built in 1913 by Henry van de Velde)
The mansion with its laid out garden, is considered as the most important cultural-historical property in Gera of world-ranking standard. It was built according to the plans of the famous Belgian architect and designer Henry van de Velde, on behalf of the textile miller Paul Schulenburg.